Tuesday 31 December 2013

December 2013 - Arch to Arc

Hi Friends,

I had some spare time today so thought I'd write another blog to keep you in the loop to how my Arch to Arc triathlon training is coming along.

My biggest challenge to date has been trying to work out a routine that is sustainable. It does get difficult sometimes juggling full time work, coaching and my training; but I'm making it work. I am actually glad it does get difficult at times because this is what makes me a stronger athlete.   I believe athletes that don’t have to overcome any obstacles or have any challengers in the lead up to their event are not as mentally tough. In endurance events mental toughness is always overlooked even though it’s such a big part.

Being a swimmer my whole life I have never really needed to use my glutes before and as a result I don't have any. My first step in transitioning from a swimmer to a triathlete has been to try and build my glutes as fast as I can. As it turns out they are very important for running and cycling. My triathlon coach, Chris Weier has his work cut out for him.

Since my favourite thing in the world is racing, I've entered in couple of small aquathons early next year. I would love nothing more than to start racing triathlons right now, but if I start doing that before I have built my legs up to those distances it will just cause injury. Towards the end of next year I'm hoping to have at least one ironman under my belt.

I have recently found out my friend and fellow Australian, John Van Wise has also signed up to the Arch to Arc where he is attempting to break the world record as well. John is booked in for 2014 so I'll be following his attempt very closely to learn as much as I can. I met John Van Wise back in 2011 when he gave me some great advice on how to prepare for the English Channel crossing. John has swum the English Channel a number of times and has done heaps of other crazy ultra-marathon events too.

My plan for Arch to Arc is to complete the 140km run in under 24 hours, then have a short rest before taking on the 34km English Channel swim in under 10 hours, then having another short rest before getting through the 290km cycle as fast as I can.

This last week I've spent in the Northern Territory (on a training holiday) with my mate Justin Hanby. I've gotten some good running in, we ran Urulu, Kata Tjuta and Kings Canyon!

“A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more." – Steve Prefontaine

Happy New Year!

Trent Grimsey
English Channel Record Holder
Date:  31st December 2013
 
                                                                                                             (The top of Ayres Rock!)

No comments:

Post a Comment